Your hair is considered to be your crowning glory and is one of the most important features of your personality. This is why hair loss can be a daunting problem. Sadly, due to causes like pollution, lifestyle and genetic factors, hair loss is becoming a very common problem these days.
In many cases, it has been observed that people start suffering from hair loss from an early age. This can seriously affect your self-confidence and overall appearance. Therefore, you have to treat it early on to prevent serious hair loss later on.
Therefore, if you are looking to regrow or improve the quality of your existing hair, you can opt for natural home remedies. But, it is also important that you understand the causes first, so you can take the correct steps to prevent hair loss.
What causes hair loss?
You usually lose about 100 hairs every day. But you don’t notice this as new hairs take its place. When this natural cycle of hair shedding and growth is disrupted, hair loss occurs. In this case, the hair follicle is destroyed and replaced with scar tissue.
The following are the most common causes of hair loss:
If you have a family history of baldness or hair loss, you might suffer from the same. This hereditary condition is called male or female pattern baldness. You might observe the signs as you gradually age. If you are a woman, you will observe hair thinning. For men, bald spots and a receding hairline are common.
2) Medical issues and hormonal changes
Hormonal changes are one of the most important reasons for hair loss. It can happen during pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, and if you stop taking birth control pills.
Medical conditions that lead to hair loss are:
- Alopecia areata
- infections of the scalp like ringworm
- Diseases such as lichen planus and lupus can cause scarring and hair loss eventually
- Trichotillomania, which is a disorder where you are not able to resist the urge to pull out your hair
Certain medications that are used to treat conditions such as high blood pressure, cancer, depression, arthritis, gout can also cause hair loss. Radiation therapy for cancer may affect your hair growth severely.
3) Physical or emotional shock
You might suffer from mild thinning of hair several months after you face any physical or emotional shock such as the death of a family member, high fever, severe weight loss etc. However, this type of hair loss is temporary.
Excessive hair treatment or applying too many chemicals on your hair might fade it away. Hairstyling, where your hair is pulled very tightly such as cornrows or pigtails, might cause Traction Alopecia. In this condition, your hair follicles are stressed when pulled, leading to hair loss.
Furthermore, hot oil treatments can cause inflammation of your hair follicles. If this causes scarring, you may face permanent hair loss.
5) Nutritional deficiencies
Your hair loss can be due to the lack of essential nutrients from your diet. Iron, zinc and copper are important for maintaining hair quality. The deficiency of Vitamin D is a major cause of hair loss.
Home remedies to Cure Hair Loss
Here are the most popular home remedies for preventing hair loss:
1) Aloe vera
You can purchase pure Aloe Vera gel and apply it on your scalp. Additionally, you might extract the pulp from the Aloe Vera plant and apply it directly. After that leave it for 45 minutes and rinse with water. You must repeat the process about 4 times a week for best results.
This reduces dandruff and removes excess oil from your hair follicles.
2) Coconut oil
Massaging your hair with coconut oil will reduce protein loss from the hair. It will suit your hair whether it is dry or oily. So, you need to massage the oil into your scalp thoroughly and leave it overnight. You can also apply it a few hours before you wash it off.
This promotes hair growth while enhancing its lustre and quality.
3) Egg mask
Being rich in protein, sulphur, zinc, phosphorus and selenium, eggs can help in promoting hair growth. For this, you have to prepare a hair mask. You can do this by the following steps:
- Mix one egg white in a bowl along with a teaspoon of olive oil. Add some honey to this mixture
- Beat it properly and make a paste. Apply it from your hair roots to the tips
- Use a mild shampoo to rinse it after 20 minutes
4) Green tea
Being rich in antioxidants, green tea is useful for boosting hair growth. Follow these steps:
- Take two or three tea bags and soak them in one or two cups of hot water
- After the decoction cools down, apply it on your hair. Massage gently on the scalp
- After an hour, wash it off with cold water
5) Fenugreek seeds
Use the following steps to make a fenugreek mask for your hair:
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight
- In the morning, grind it to a fine paste and apply it to your scalp and hair
- Leave it on the scalp for 30 minutes. Wash it off using normal water
Repeat this twice a week for best results.
When should you visit a dermatologist?
If you suddenly start losing a lot of hair without any particular reason, it can affect your mental health. Furthermore, if you observe any of the following symptoms, consult a doctor:
- Losing a handful of hair when combing or washing. This leads to thinning of hair.
- Patchy bald spots that may be circular in shape. It affects the scalp but can also be observed in eyebrows and beards.
- The hair around your forehead starts thinning gradually.
- Scaly patches all over the scalp. This can be a sign of ringworm that might be followed with redness, swelling of the scalp and broken hair.
Sometimes, medical treatments like chemotherapy can cause hair loss all over your body. You may also observe abnormal hair loss if you have changed your diet or if you consume supplements.
How can your dermatologist help you prevent hair loss?
The different treatment options for curing hair loss are:
The medications for addressing hereditary baldness are:
- Rogaine – This comes in the form of a foam or liquid that you can apply on the scalp. At first, you may shed some hair. A minimum of 6 months of treatment is required to prevent hair loss in future and for new hair to grow.
- Propecia –This comes in the form of a pill. You have to keep consuming it to slow down your hair loss and grow new hair.
- Oral medication such as dutasteride might be recommended for men. For women, oral spironolactone is prescribed.
Here, tiny patches of skin from the back off your head are removed. This is then planted in the balding sections of your head. You may need more than one surgery to get the desired results.
3) Laser therapy
In this process, a laser is applied on the scalp. This irradiates photons into your scalp. Weak cells absorb these photons to boost hair growth. This procedure stimulates your hair follicles to grow new hair.
The process is non-invasive, painless and has no side effects.
Hair loss can be an embarrassing issue of not treated properly. So, visit the doctor as soon as you observe the symptoms. Additionally, you can follow the remedies we mentioned to prevent hair loss.
Avoid using too much chemical products to enhance your hair. Instead, go for the natural home remedies discussed earlier. Additionally, maintain a balanced diet that consists of sufficient amounts of iron and protein.
Furthermore, talk to your doctor to get more pointers about maintaining hair health and preventing hair loss in future.